Avoid Distracted Driving
April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, which is the perfect time to look at your driving habits to make sure that you are being as safe as possible. To help avoid being distracted while behind the wheel, keep these 8 distracted driving avoidance tips in mind.
- Put your phone away – if your cell phone is within your reach, you are more likely to use it. Turn it off or put it on silent and put it somewhere you cannot reach it.
- Pull over – if you do have to make a call or send a text, pull over to a safe spot on the side of the road. Arriving at your destination a little late is better than not arriving at all.
- Utilize your passengers – if you have passengers in your car, ask them to help you send or read a text. They can also change the radio station so that you do not have to take your hands off the wheel.
- Prepare your GPS – before you pull out of your driveway, program your destination into your GPS so that you do not have to use it while you are driving.
- Distract the kids – if your children can become a major distraction while you are driving, find a way to distract them. Give them age friendly activities to do while in the car, such as a coloring book.
- Don’t worry about your looks – driving isn’t the time to put on makeup or fix your hair. It won’t matter what you look like when the coroner arrives!
- Wait to snack – drive with both hands on the wheel. Don’t multitask and try to eat and drink while driving.
- Focus up – when you are driving, all of your attention should be on the road. Do not try and do anything else while you are driving to help save time. You’ll have time to catch up on social media or read the newspaper later.
How does distracted driving affect insurance?
Getting into any sort of at-fault accident always makes your insurance premium go up because your insurance company deems you a high-risk driver. Even if you avoid an accident but still get a ticket, your premium can go up by an average of 16%.
Having the right auto insurance needs can help keep you safe from any unfortunate situation while on the road. Contact the insurance professionals at American Advantage – IFS Inc. in Pewaukee, Wisconsin for all of your car insurance coverage needs.